Joint study abroad FAQ

Joint Study abroad FAQ

When students time to visit home?
for the first year abroad (FYA) students, the best time to visit the house would be in December, during the winter vacation. FYA Visit our page to see the dates and precise program interruptions.

How can I contact my student during his / her time to the foreign?
Michelle Futo, a recruiter for the student, wrote a great article on earlier this summer to check on his post at this link ( nolereservations. When I am abroad, I chose iPod FaceTime my sister with my family in the room. Check out your options and consider as the best for you before you go abroad.

What is, it money?
In our three areas Europe, students will take in local currency (Euro for Valencia and Florence and the British pound in London) . Paying in cash is highly recommended because many banks and credit card companies charge a fee for using a credit card outside of the US Speaking from personal experience, I would suggest going to your local bank and buy $ 300-400 currency before going abroad. It is good to have some cash when you arrive, you are not scrambling in search of an ATM the first couple of hours in your new home.

Throughout your journey, you want to make withdrawals of foreign currency. Make sure you do this in larger increments to make it worth a convenience fee. Keep the money you will not be using in your safe in the bedroom from the living room and be sure not to carry more money than $ 50 with you around the city.

I also recommend to make a budget before you go and talk to your parents about money before your departure so nobody is taken by surprise. Use Google Docs to write your written budget and share it with your organization parents.This will help you keep track of spending.

Contact your bank so that you do not have to worry about declined transactions while you’re at ‘foreign.

How many hours will -I take abroad?
The program fee covers up to 16 hours in the fall and spring, and 3 to 16 hours in the semesters ‘summer . To receive or Florida Bright Futures Pre Paid, you must register for a minimum of 12 hours for the fall and spring, and 6 hours for the summer. The costs of the FYA program students cover up to 49 credit hours. FYA students must complete at least 36 credit hours FSU and maintain a 3.0 GPA in those classes to receive tuition in condition when returning to the FSU. Please note, the credit hours vary depending on the program and length of stay. Please refer to our website for the specific amount included.

Closer to the date of your program, you will receive an email inviting you to register for classes and specific instructions on how to find the courses offered your region abroad on page.

is English spoken in places from the program?
All classes (except language courses) will be taught in English. Although there are no guarantees that the citizens around you master English. Make sure you buy a phrasebook or download an application like Duolingo to help learn some of the language. I can not stress how important it is to learn some basic phrases (and possible answers to these sentences) if you are lost. Most taxi drivers speak no English so be sure you know how to get to your destination and back in the local language (including the cities you visit outside your place of study); also have the address written in case you can not pronounce the address. Knowing these key phrases goes a long way in making a good impression on the people of your host country.

What can I expect in my classes when I study abroad?
When you study abroad, many of your course will be taught by FSU professors and local faculty. These people are experts in their particular course subject. Therefore, you can expect classes to be very similar to those you take on the Tallahassee campus. abroad classes, however, are much smaller than in Tallahassee. So small that your absence or delay will be noticed and can negatively impact your grade. Textbooks are also very important when you go abroad. The best idea is to buy them before you leave and bring your foreign textbooks. Shipping manuals United States is undesirable since the package will go through customs when you can pay more than you paid for the manual. In addition, the book can not happen until several weeks after the start of the program (for this reason, we recommend that parents make not send their students care abroad packets).

Since class sizes are very small and you are very likely in a city full of things to do, you will be walking around the city for many of your classes. Teachers like take the opportunity to show students the city highlights and how they apply to the course content. Bring comfortable clothes and walking shoes!

Will I be picked up and deposited at the airport at the beginning and the end of my program?
Your program fees include airport transfer to most places. If for any reason your flight will not arrive in time to pick up, you will need to find transport to the study center on your own. A few months before your departure, you will be emailed a package of pre-departure information. In this package, there will be specific airport pickup times. The package also includes instructions on how to get to the location of the airport pick-up and how to get to the study center. The Department of FSU International Programs suggest printing this package and keep it in your hand luggage in case something happens to your luggage.

Since everyone will have different travel plans, no landing group the airport at the end of the program. However, when you check out of the study center, program assistants call a taxi to get you safely to the airport.

What travel documents will I need to travel in Europe?
to enter the country for your program, you will need a passport. When traveling outside your home country, you need to bring your passport as a form of identification. Before leaving, make a photocopy of your passport to your parents or guardians to stay in an emergency. When you arrive at the study center, they will also make a copy of your passport for registration. When traveling, keep your passport in a carrying bag but not in a front pocket for maximum protection of the accident.

What should I pack ?
The main thing you should pack for your stay abroad is a rain jacket (or umbrella) and a few pairs comfortable walking shoes (you will walk A LOT). Do some research on this type of converter you need for electronics and bring the appropriate one. If you travel in summer, you can bring sunscreen and / or insecticide. You will also want to bring a laptop, many missions should be carried out online; our study centers have wifi available for students.

Electrical devices such as hair dryers, straighteners, etc. should not are brought over.
Written by: Kevin Smith, 2015-2016 Student Recruiter